Do you know how much plastic garbage the U.S. generates per year?
33 million tons , according to the EPA, from a 2013 analysis.
If that’s not sobering enough, over 90% of these plastics satisfy their final resting place in landfills, entailing they’ll never be recycled.
However, I’m not here to depress you with statistics.
I’d like to introduce you to the born-again plastic bottles that are recycled.
The ones the hell is hiding in plain sight , as opposes this ones the hell is out-of-sight, out-of intellect at your local garbage dump.
The ones that discovered a higher calling thanks to your decision to throw them away in the blue or green bins, as opposes this black ones.
The recycled plastic bottles that are just begging you to rediscover them in their newfound glory.
NOTE TO READER( especially you lovely folks on your mobile devices ): It might take a few seconds for these images to load. I promise it will be worth the wait !
1. Cozy Patagonia fleece
Check out all their recycled plastic products here.
2. Winter jackets, too!
3. Check it out: Luxury bedsheets designed by will.i.am
4. Plastic bottle denim jeans by a company called Dirtball? Sign me up.
A+ business name, guys.
5. You can also root for your favorite NFL team in these plastic bottle football jerseys.
6. Do yoga( or simply be comfy) in these plastic bottle yoga pants.
Namaste, plastic bottles. Namaste.
7. You could also appear fly in these New Balance NewSky sneakers.
8. Plastic bottle UNDERWEAR, y’all
9. Designer handbags, knapsacks, and luggage by Matt& Nat
Even the inside liner is made from plastic bottles!
10. Red( or green ?) carpet fashion
But like, what plastic bottle wouldn’t want to end up with Colin Firth and his wife, Livia?
11. Plastic bottles can also strut their stuff on the runway.
Work it, plastic bottles. Run. It. Out.
12. Pet beds!
13. And pet playthings, too!
14. And you’ve likely strolled on a plastic bottle rug.
And, hey! These are affordable.
RT @ worldmarket: Save up to 50% on all Recycled Plastic Bottle Rugs. http :// t.co/ eiPgpSfHgq pic.twitter.com/ sFNeqisVYk http :// t.co/ KyNqNFNpLk Branddee.com Deals (@ BranddeeDotCom) June 27, 2015
15. Plastic bottles can also get a second chance with these “B2P” pens by Pilot.
Next time you’re ready to restock, consider these bad boys.
16. Rainy day? Try a plastic bottle umbrella.
17. You likely want to buy this awesome at-bat knapsack.
For kids or adults? I’ll let you decide. They also come in pink bunnies, purple owls, penguins with ties, and more.
18. Or this pink dump truck.
* adds to Christmas list*
19. Be fancy with a fancy plastic bottle chandelier!
20. Stare in awe at some ridiculously creative plastic bottle artwork.
21. And don’t forget to check out this artwork … built with plastic bottle “paint.”
WHAT? HOW ??
22. You can even make an entire Home from plastic bottles.
23. A bus stop ?! Yeah, a bus stop.
24. These people are riding solar-powered recycled-plastic-bottle BOATS.
25. Even the roads of the future are paved in plastic bottles!
26. No big deal, just a man-made plastic bottle island here.
27. Or, you know, 1.5 million bottles could get you AN ENTIRE FREAKING BUILDING.
Learn more about the EcoARK in Taipei, Taiwan, here.
See? It’s an absolute crime to send plastic water bottles to the dump when there’s so much potential awaiting them elsewhere. Not to mention each ton of recycled plastic saves over 16 barrels of oil since it requires less energy to create than new plastic.
And remember: Recycling is merely one part of the “reduce, reuse, recycle” mantra. Reducing( or even eradicating) your intake of plastics, in addition to coming up with your own fancy DIY uses for milk jugs and water bottles is even better for the environment, if you’re willing to build the lifestyle change.
Recycle on, friends!
Read more: www.upworthy.com